Each great book is a kind of universe, but it does not exist in isolation -- books influence other books via their authors. Small Demons explores the books, places and people mentioned in books and exposes the endless web of influence and inspiration that permeates literature. Click on Moby Dick for example, and the site shows you works referenced in the book, books that reference it, people mentioned in the book, including mythical figures, and also artworks, places and so forth. As the sites creators continue to populate it with literary information, the web of associations will no doubt grow richer. An intriguing use of the Internet that adds to rather from detracting from the literary experience.
Sue Gillou's book "The Mayan Priest" is currently climbing the Amazon charts and doing especially well on the Kindle platform. Here's a list of some of the promotional factors that have contributed to her success:
- An excellent website - http://www.sueguillou.com/ - promoting herself and her books, with links to:
- An active facebook page for her book - http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mayan-Priest/111581142194079
- A twitter account - http://twitter.com/sueguillou
- A blog - http://www.greatestnewbooks.blogspot.com/
- Direct links to buy her books in multiple formats - http://www.sueguillou.com/purchase
- An extract of her book - http://www.sueguillou.com/priest-extract
- A guestbook for comments - http://www.sueguillou.com/contact
This fascinating article depicts a very dynamic public library system (even in hard economic times). For any who claim the library is no longer an essential cultural institution, the New York Public Library would stand as a rebuttal.
Industry blogs for Australian Writers: AWMonline Guide
Industry News and Views
Australian Book Review
Contributors include editor Peter Rose and other ABR staff, and guest bloggers from the world of letters.
A personal blog by screenwriter David Tiley, featuring filmmaking and culture news and views.
Booksller and Publisher
Bookseller and Publisher magazine's online news covering the Australian book industry.